Nutrition Services, Full Time - *$1,000 Sign on Bonus*
Location: Nashville, TN
Status: Regular Full Time
Schedule: 12-hour shifts, rotating schedule
The Nutrition Services Cook provides direct clinical nutrition care and food service for residents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cooks and bakes for patient meals based on planned menus and/or patient requests. Ensures that food is nutritional, flavorful, eye appealing, and has the proper texture/quality for the patient being served.
- Follows recipes and/or adjusts to improve quality and flavor using sound techniques.
- Menus are to be reviewed in advance for properly thawing out meats for recipes, baking cakes and pies, making cold salads so they can chill down to the proper safe temperature to be serve.
- Monitors temperatures of food prepared and takes appropriate corrective action for those foods, which are not at proper temperature for serving corrective actions must be log.
- Records food temperatures for each meal in the appropriate log.
- Practices HACCP, infection control and sanitation protocols to promote safe and sanitary food preparation.
- Cleans and sanitizes kitchen area, as well as all equipment used in food preparation, following each meal preparation.
- Scrapes food from soiled dishes and silverware, loads into dishwasher racks and washes in a timely manner using proper sanitation techniques. Unloads clean dishes and puts them away in preparation for next meal.
- Sweep and mop kitchen floor after meals and take out the cooks trash can and boxes.
- Monitors food supplies, paper goods and condiments and informs the Manager when those items are in short supply.
- The coolers, and freezers are to be clean and organized daily and the food is to be labeled and dated , any out dated items to be logged and discarded.
- Daily cleaning assignment are to be completed and signed off, at the end of the shift wipe down counters, tables etc, the must be left clean and ready for the next day of service.
- Handles food and left overs in accordance with sound safety practices and is a resource for aides.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The facility requires this position to complete 4 hours of continuing education requirements per year covering topics that will contribute to improvements in carrying out the above responsibilities. The education must be distributed among clinical nutrition, food service operations (including sanitation), and hospice care.
Possess the ability to effectively supervise others, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in challenging situations while maintaining accuracy and timeless in the delivery of care. Maintain professional maturity and have the ability to respond effectively and calmly during potentially emotional times. Must have reliable transportation.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to read, follow and prepare a recipe.
- 2 year experience in batch cooking and baking
- Experience with cooking and processing modified and textured diets.
- Possess to be ability read and record temperatures from a basic thermometer
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of 2 years food service experience providing direct clinical nutrition care and food preparation. Food service experience in a hospice, hospital, or LTC environment is preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
If required to drive to carry out the duties of this position, current driver's license and automobile insurance as required by Tennessee State Law.